A customers first experience with a Robox 3D Printer

Recently one of our local customers came in to our store and utilized our DIY Workbench for a project and here is what he had to say…

——————————————-

By Jared S Warner, Tempe AZ

This was my first time using a 3D printer, so I started by reviewing the user manual for the Robox printer. This helped me get familiar with the operation of the Robox as well as the basics of 3D printing in general. It was good to know what to expect when loading a filament reel, importing STL files into the AutoMaker software, orienting the model on the build surface, and selecting print options for resolution, filament type, support structure, and fill weight.

The part for this project was very simple. I needed a few plastic spacers (see figure 1a) for mounting the wheels on my hockey skates, and they have proved difficult to find in just the right size. I took measurements of the existing spacers and created a model in Blender, an open-source application for 3D modeling and animation. After exporting the model as an STL file, it was ready to load into AutoMaker for printing.

AutoMaker had no trouble recognizing the file and displaying the model correctly, and it was easy and intuitive to copy/paste multiple copies and space them out on the print area. I chose medium resolution and ran my first print using Robox ABS filament with 100% fill and no additional structure. The first print failed (figure 1b) because the part did not fully adhere to the print bed. The part wobbled and rocked during printing, and so the final print was distorted. It needed something extra to hold it down

For the next print I added a raft. The raft is a solid layer which is printed first, and the part is printed on top of the raft (figure 1c). This improved stability during printing, but the raft itself was difficult to remove without damaging these small parts.

The next option I tried was to use a brim. This is a thin layer which spreads out from the base of the part, and the part itself is printed directly on the bed (figure 1d). The brim improved adhesion of the part to the print bed, and it was very easy to remove with a small blade. Using this technique I printed about two dozen spacers (figure 2a). There were a few which failed, apparently because the extruded plastic stopped sticking to itself (figure 2b). From what I’ve read, this may indicate that the filament has absorbed too much moisture.

As an introductory project, this turned out pretty well for me. The Robox RBX01 3D Printer worked exactly as I expected from reading the user manual, and I also learned a lot more beyond that. My hockey skates have wheels again, and it only took about four hours of my time to create the model and print the parts.

fails  final


The Circuit Specialists DIY Workbench is available during business hours Monday through Friday here in Tempe Arizona.  For more information see the

Leave a Reply